Thursday, April 28, 2011

Squidget resource usage

I got several questions in e-mails and PMs regarding resource usage by Squidget. So I thought It is best to clarify it here:

Squidget goes into sleep mode (not processing anything or communicating with the server) in the following cases:

  1. When your current player is off or paused (That will change a bit soon, when I add player per widget functionality).
  2. When you turn the device screen off.

In fact it remains idle until you:
  1. power / play a player
  2. rotate the phone (if your home screen supports it, then sleeps again - I'm not sure if it actually wakes up - It may depend on the implementation of the Home Launcher)
  3. change WiFi state
  4. turn the screen on

If in these cases it fails to reconnect it will try again 3 times every 3 seconds, then 3 times every 1 minutes, then once an hour. If network bandwidth is an issue - note that the reconnect attempt uses just a few bytes. If you are abroad and roaming to a different network it's probably best to remove Squidget from the home screen. I'm about to add a setting to the configuration to toggle it to connect only over WiFi.

There should be no issue of using resources (CPU or battery).
You can check it at Menu -> Settings ->About phone->Battery->Battery use. 
I believe you won't see Squidget in the list there. 
I see 2% after a full day of coding and debugging.
When I tested battery usage I also tried keeping screen on permanently when playing music. Then I reached 5% battery for Squidget 4-5% WiFi (and also 60% display). I guess however that no one uses a phone like that.

This issue is of MAJOR importance to me as it makes the difference between being a usable widget people use daily on their home screen to something people stop using.

1 comment:

  1. Please supply the "only on wlan" feature. It is a bit tiresome as it works now.

    ReplyDelete